Budget and Research Analyst
Performs entry level professional budgeting and management analysis work such as providing annual budget support, research, and analysis related to management objectives, and completion of annual reports. Work requires limited supervision and the use of independent judgment and discretion.
APPLICANT INCENTIVE: $1,500.00
- Participates in preparing the Police Department’s annual budget and related supporting documentation including preparing budget agendas; preparing budget presentations; reviewing departmental budget submissions; participating in departmental and executive team budget reviews; participating in City Council budget work sessions and meetings; preparing and distributing final budget documents; responding to budget inquiries; and reviewing budgets monthly.
- Performs budget analysis activities including researching and analyzing operational, fiscal, and other data for applicable processes; conducting interviews and operational observations; developing reports and making recommendations based on findings.
- Participates in analysis activities including running detailed cost effectiveness analysis; performing benchmarking; performing cost of service studies and research; analyzing data; participating in related meetings and presentations to provide recommendations and suggestions to improve performance or reduce expenses.
- Participates in a variety of special projects in support of departmental operations including performing special studies; providing guidance and recommendations to the department command staff to ensure organizational sustainability and maximize organizational efficiency, effectiveness, and performance; and recommending cost conscious decisions and actions.
- Manage the Texas Police Chiefs Association Foundation (TPCAF) Recognition Program, including completing annual reports and ensuring the police department is compliant with reporting requirements.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in business, public administration, or related field required.
Two years of progressively responsible administrative experience preferred.
REQUIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of budgeting principles and practices.
- Knowledge of management processes and principles.
- Knowledge of research and analysis methods.
- Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Ability to follow instructions, safety practices and standard operating procedures in performing assigned tasks.
- Ability to be punctual and attend work regularly.
- Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or job type.
- Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to effectively communicate with the public.
- Ability to apply analytical reasoning.
- Ability to gather and analyze data and draw conclusions and present data and other information in a clear and logical manner.
- Skilled in the use of Microsoft Office Suite and working knowledge of applications administration.
- Skilled in preparing budget documents and analysis.
- Skilled in working with large electronic documents.
- Skilled in assessing cost efficiency and effectiveness of municipal operations.
- Skilled in conducting benchmark surveys.
- Skilled in conducting best practice research.
- Skilled in applying independent judgment, personal discretion and resourcefulness in interpreting and applying guidelines.
- Skilled in reading, interpreting, applying, and explaining rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Skilled in preparing clear and concise reports.
- Skilled in gathering and analyzing information and making recommendations based on findings and in support of organizational goals.
- Must submit to and pass a background check and pre-employment drug test